NAS 102/ NAS 202
Molecular orbital theory and its applications in diatomic molecules. Band theory of solids. Lequid crystals. Application of liquid crystals. Types of unit cell, space lattice (only cubes), Bragg's equation. Calculation of density of unit cell. One and two dimensional imperfections in solids. Structure and applications of Graphite and Fullerenes.
Polymers, its classification and their applications. Chain and Step growth polymerization.Thermoplastic and Thermosetting resins. Elastomers and synthetic fibres. Conducting and biodegradable polymers. General methods of synthesis of organometallic compound (Grignard Reagent) and their applications in polymerization and catalysis.
Stereochemistry with special reference to optical isomerism. Types of organic reactions with special reference to elimination and substitution reaction. Elementary ideas and simple applications of UV, Visible, IR and 1HNMR spectral Techniques.
Hardness of water. Disadvantage of hard water. Techniques for water softening; Calgon, Zeolite, Lime-Soda, Ion exchange resin, Reverse osmosis. Water treatment method for boiler feed by internal process. Phase Rule and its application to one component system (water and sulphur).
Fuels; Classification of fuels. Analysis of Coal. Determination of Calorific values. Biogas and Biomass. Cement and its application. Plaster of paris. Lubricant. Corrosion; causes and prevention.
1. Chemistry for Engineers, by S. Vairam and Suba Ramesh; Wiley India
1. Textbook of Engineering Chemistry by Dr. Gopal Krishna Bhatt, Acme Publishers
2. Chemistry (9th ed), by Raymond Chang, Tata McGraw-Hill
3. Chemistry Concepts and Applications by Steven S. Zumdahl; Cengage Learning
4. Engineering Chemistry, Wiley India
5. Engineering Chemistry Author: Abhijit Mallick, Viva Books
6. Text Book of Engineering Chemistry by Harsh Malhotra; Sonali Publications
7. Concise Inorganic Chemistry by J.D. Lee; Wiley India
8. Organic Chemistry (6 ed) by Morrison & Boyd; Pearson Education
9. Physical Chemistry by Gordon M. Barrow; Mc-Graw Hill
10. Organic Chemistry, Volume 1(6 ed)& 2 (5ed) by I. L. Finar; Pearson Education
11. Atkins' Physical Chemistry by Peter Atkins & Julio De Paula; Oxford University Press