The Spoken Tutorial Project is about teaching and learning a particular FOSS (Free and Open Source Software) like Linux, Scilab, LaTeX, PHP & MySQL, Java, C/C++, LibreOffice etc. via an easy Video tool - Spoken Tutorials. Some of the salient features of SELF (Spoken Tutorial based Education and Learning through Free FOSS study) Workshops are as follows.
- This distance education method is highly conducive to self-learning.
- Once one gets started any student or faculty can master the FOSS and also get certificates, Silver/Learner's and Gold (based on clearing an assessment test)
- UG, PG or Research scholar students and even teachers of Science, IT, Engineering, Commerce, Management, MCA disciplines can learn any of the FOSS.
- Typically, the first Training at any college is of 2 hours duration. Timing is per the group's convenience.
- To start of, any college which is organising the Training needs to get a computer lab ready with machines that support sound. There is no lower or upper limit on the number of participants. This just depends on the number of computers available. For additional participants, laptops if available can be used.
- Support from IIT Bombay is available over Skype, in such cases the main organiser's computer should have a webcam via which the Spoken Tutorial team can monitor the Training and answer questions.
- If the participants wish to take the test they must do so a month after the Training.
As a first step, the organiser typically a faculty member must register on the Spoken Tutorial site and become authorised to request and conduct training in his/her college. The organiser can also identify student volunteers to publicise and help with the Training. Students have a lot of energy and are very enthusiastic about such activities. Student volunteers get a special certificate, and a T-shirt! They also develop Event management and Project coordination skills. .
All of the above mean a big deal to students for their career with recruiters and at PG interviews.
Today, SMEs and Govt. departments are moving to Open Source Software like Linux OS. Students with this knowledge will have an edge in the job market. They can also become entrepreneurs and use Open Source Software in their businesses, and save money vs., if they were using commercial software. Net - it is a win-win situation for all and the best part....all the Trainings are conducted FREE of cost. We are having a very good experience with colleges across the length and breadth of India with this format. They start with one and move to cover more batches, more departments, different FOSS series....All working together to Bridge the Digital Divide in our nation.
How to register
To register as an organiser you need to create an account and assign yourself a Username and Password. Click here for the Instructions on